Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Opposite of Beatlemania

I am currently suffering from this affliction after watching last night’s 2 hour American Idol. I must confess, it was the first time I have EVER watched an entire episode of American Idol. I have been stubbornly refusing to join the rest of America in partaking in the juggernaut hit.

But last night I caved, in part because I knew they were going to be singing from the Lennon-McCartney songbook and I figured if I was going to not enjoy it, I might as well go ALL OUT.

And thankfully American Idol delivered!

There was a specific moment that is still leaving me a little unsettled and I’m not referring to the country version of “8 Day’s a Week," by this season's Carrie Underwood.

The moment that spooked me was when I said these words,

“I know I used to make fun of Ryan Seacrest’s highlights, but I actually think I liked his hair better frosted.”

One would think that would be my “scared straight,” moment, propelling me into an evening of watching CNN or reading The Economist, but I was so far gone at that point, I went straight to “Keeping Up With the Kardashians."

It gets worse, I watched 2 episodes in a row- and I wasn't even drunk.

I didn't stop there, like a junkie topping Persian Heroin with a little bump of high grade cocaine (shout out to Nikki Sixx!) I ended the night with an episode of Gene Simmon’s Family Jewels. I have a hard time paying attention to anything that’s actually happening on the show because I am so distracted by his freakish wig thingy. Also I am more than a little disturbed by how hot I think his son is. I guess it's a good thing I never became a high school English teacher. Also, is it just me, or does his son look a lot like Paul Stanley. Hmmmm….

No comments: