Thursday, August 29, 2013

Things I Love Thursday

I don't have much time to post because Sophie is going to wake up any minute and Benjamin is currently snacking on goldfish crackers and rocking out to George Harrison on Pandora- he has good taste for a one year- old. But, this idyll could end any second, so I will do a quick post of things I am loving right now. This list is in no particular order.

1. Heirloom Tomato Salad with Bocconcini and Basil

Since it's 90 degrees in Los Angeles today this is what I'll be making tonight for dinner, and possibly every night until it cools down. This recipe is pretty close to how I make it, I basically just toss everything into a big bowl and add ingredients to taste. I also like to add some avocado and arugula if I have it. Great with french bread and Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc which I think you can get for around $10 or $12 just about anywhere.

2. Hit & Miss



Do you know about Hit & Miss? It's this insanely good British television show starring Chloƫ Sevingy as a pre-op transgendered assassin and that's not even the most interesting part of the show. It's streaming on Netflix and you should definitely watch it once you rip through all those Orange is the New Black episodes. Bonus: you get to see Chloƫ Sevigny with a penis!


3. Annie's Macaroni and Cheese



Macaroni and cheese is pretty pathetic for a "Things I Love," list, but with one year- old twins, I'm passionate about carving out five minute windows in my day to sit the fuck down. When they first started eating finger foods, I was all about making everything from scratch, but after a few times of the kids throwing the lovingly prepared, organic, locally grown, sauteed zucchini on the floor I thought, "Okay, you little shits, I see how this is going to be." I don't call them little shits to their faces (generally). Plus, the list of ingredients doesn't make me feel like a crappy mom. 



After my husband and I burned through the Netflix series, I wanted more! So, I started reading the memoir by Piper Kerman in which the series is based. Don't expect Chapman's voice; Piper Kerman is less neurotic, less shallow and less awful, which you'd also think would make her interesting, but it doesn't. 

5. Valerie June- Since I don't get to the Hotel Cafe  as much (never) as I used to, I have to count on KCRW and NPR to inform me on new music finds. 









No comments: